To increase geological and metallogenic understanding of the sector and to recommend favourable zones for gold exploration.
Project conducted for Belo Sun Mining
- To increase geological and metallogenic understanding of the sector;
- To recommend favourable zones for gold exploration.
The mandate was carried out by the Canadian exploration company Belo Sun Mining in the Brazilian Amazon Rainforest. Small-scale and artisanal exploration and mining activities were being carried out in the study zone. Challenges were as follows:
- Vast territory (1,700 km2) with abundant plant cover;
- Little in terms of regional geological data.
Need for improving geological and metallogenic understanding aimed at identifying targets for gold
● To improve geological understanding (structural architecture, lithostratigraphic settings, geotectonic evolution); ● To improve metallogenic understanding (gitological models); ● To orient exploration by proposing targets for gold.
Implemented Solution: Remote Mapping
- Remote mapping based on Landsat8 multispectral satellite imaging analysis;
- Airborne geophysics (magnetic and radiometric data);
- Topography (SRTM), and;
- Field observations and geochemical data (soil and rock).
Implemented Solution: Geostatistical Processing
We applied geostatistical processing (PCA, Clustering) to geochemical and geophysical databases, with the following objectives:
- To establish relationships between the variables;
- To define homogenous sets;
- To enhance the signal.
Implemented Solution: Combining Two Targeting Approaches
- A knowledge-driven approach, which uses geological and metallogenic understanding (sought-after geological model);
- A supervised data-driven approach, based on the statistical relationship between geological parameters (density of hydrothermal elements, geochemical anomalies, areas of structural complexity).
- Mapping of lithological and alteration domains;
- Structural mapping, identification of kinematics and geodynamic evolution;
- Identification of favourable intrusions (chemical and geophysical classification);
- Gold targets (multilayer integration).