- Date Published: December 21, 2018
- Location: Montreal, possibly to work remotely
Your challenge will be to build a “state of the art” web platform for profitable and sustainable farming using technologies such artificial intelligence and satellite imagery.
As a Software Engineer – Backend, you will interface between customer-facing applications, backend design and data solutions supporting large-scale data transport.
You will be responsible for maximizing code reusability while also considering design, deployment, and testability. You will work in a well-established company, Effigis Geo-Solutions, with a team dedicated to a spin-off – FieldApex – with a start-up spirit.
- Design and document APIs, leveraging a standard API documentation framework (e.g. Apiary, Swagger);
- Leverage existing API design patterns to maintain organizational consistency;
- Ensure that all APIs are fully tested in an automated framework, including functional and performance tests;
- Maintain backlog for API needs across a broad set of end users, ensuring user stories and prioritization are transparent;
- Take a leadership role in the choice and implementation of a cloud-based solution (e.g. AWS, Kubernetes);
- Create a DevOps team to understand current CI/CD platform, tooling, and environments involved in release;
- Ensure technology watch for backend and DevOps solutions;
- Document current systems interactions and architecture.
- Experience in designing and documenting internal and external (commercial) APIs leveraging an API documentation framework (e.g. Apiary, Swagger);
- Experience in developing RESTful APIs;
- Experience with continuous integration, testing, and deployment;
- Experience in implementing advanced monitoring for platforms and applications;
- Experience with infrastructure as code;
- Experience in building and deploying the Docker containers required;
- Experience using PHP;
- Experience with either node.js or python web frameworks is an asset (e.g. express, hapi, pyramid, flask);
- Experience with LAMP ecosystem is an asset;
- Experience with Linux administration is an asset;
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or computer science or equivalent required.
- Deep understanding of API design, including versioning, isolation and micro-services;
- Working knowledge of various implementation stacks and trade-offs (e.g. node, PHP, python);
- Working knowledge and experience with Amazon API gateway or other API host service;
- Actively practicing lean/agile software methodologies or similar;
- Familiar with database and implementation best practices;
- Speaking English and French
- Self-starter (prior proven intrapreneur success or startup experience is a strong plus);
- Knowledge of best practices in code development and deployment methodologies;
- Ability to ensure consistency across the release process while understanding the need for exceptions to the rule (i.e.: emergency releases);
- Advocate for everything automated, hands off deployments, and repeatable and reliable solutions;
- Passion for web software development and latest software development practices, including lean and agile;
- Deep commitment to quality, reliability, scalability and maintainability;
- Egoless and good interaction with software engineering, product managers, customers and non-technical users;
- Ability to get out in the field and excited to do so;
- Open to ask questions and point out own errors;
- Result-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- You like to travel? Possibility to work remotely;
- Dynamic, professional team;
- Work-family compromise, particularly flexible hours;
- Group insurance (life, salary, health and dental insurances);
- Health program with partial reimbursement of physical activities;
- Training program;
- Paid leave in the Holiday Season;
- Coffee bar and fruit basket;
- Easy access to public transport (Préfontaine metro, bus line 25);
- Bicycle parking and showers;
- On site: fitness center, sports fields, restaurants, spa and many other services.